Tea Tree oil (aka: Melaleuca) is an all natural essential oil that hails from Australia and is sourced from the Melaleuca Alternifloria bush. It has been used as a natural anti-fungal and anti-biotic agent for centuries.
The oil can be used on its own, mixed with other essential oils and natural anti-fungal ingredients and/or in a soak to treat toenail fungus and athlete’s foot.
In this article, we will share 6 ways you can use Malaleuca oil to treat toenail fungus. Read on to learn more.
1. Apply the oil directly to infected toenails. Each night before bed, wash and dry your feet thoroughly. Trim your nails and apply the oil directly to your toenails using a cotton swab.
In the morning, when you swing your feet over the side of the bed, take a few moments to reapply the oil before putting on shoes or walking about. It’s a good idea to put socks on to prevent the oil from staining your house slippers.
2. Create a relaxing, therapeutic soak. Some people are sensitive to the full strength oil applied directly to the skin. If this is the case for you, you can dilute the oil at a rate of 12 drops per cup of warm water.
Soak for about twenty minutes, then dry your feet thoroughly. If you wish, you can substitute apple cider vinegar or white vinegar for 1/3 of the water. Vinegar is a natural anti-fungal agent.
3. Moisturize your feet and nails with a combination of Malaleuca oil and coconut oil. You can create an all natural antifungal moisturizing product by adding 6 drops of this essential anti-fungal oil to an ounce of coconut oil.
Coconut oil also has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties. Massage this into your feet and toenails. Put on cotton socks to help the oil soak into your skin and to protect your floors, bedding and footwear.
4. Combine tea tree oil with other natural, anti-fungal essential oils. Malaleuca oil sometimes produces a burning sensation.
You can mitigate this by using it in combination with other anti-fungal oils such as eucalyptus, thyme and lavender. Experiment with applying these directly and/or mixing them into your foot bath and moisturizing treatment.
The rate of 12 drops per cup for a foot bath and 6 drops per ounce for an antifungal moisturizing treatment is good for all of these oils.
Understand that this is the combined amount for all oils used. You can combine the in equal parts for a total of 12 drops of essential oil per cup of warm water and/or 6 drops of essential oil per ounce of coconut oil.
5. Make your own antifungal foot and body powder by combining a box of baking soda, a box of cornstarch and a heaping tablespoon of ground cloves. Bicarbonate of soda and cloves are antifungal. Cornstarch discourages dampness and helps prevent fungal infection.
6. Tea tree oil is excellent for treating other types of fungal infection such as athlete’s foot and ringworm.
Combine 6 drops of tea tree oil and an ounce of hydrogen peroxide to apply directly to these fungal outbreaks. This can also be used on toenail fungus.
How Long Does It Take To Cure Toenail Fungus?
One thing you should keep in mind is that if you have toenail fungus, athlete’s foot and/or ringworm, it is an indication of a systemic fungal infection.
For this reason, you will need to be very tenacious and persistent in treatment. You are unlikely to actually “cure” toenail fungus with any treatment, be it natural or pharmaceutical.
Develop the good lifestyle and hygiene habits of washing your feet at least once a day and allowing them to dry thoroughly. Some people even blow dry their feet.
Fungus grows in damp places, so keeping your feet dry will help a great deal. Apply natural, anti-fungal treatments to clean feet at bedtime and upon arising each day.
Always wear clean, well fitted shoes and socks that allow for good air circulation around your toes and feet. Natural fiber socks and canvas or natural leather shoes are best, with good ventilation. Wear sandals whenever you can.
Plan on using coconut oil, tea tree oil and other natural anti-fungal products on a regular, ongoing basis.
Adding coconut oil to your diet and your personal care routine will help you overcome a systemic fungal infection.
Using tea tree oil and other anti-fungal essential oils as part of your regular, daily self care routine will help you get your current outbreak under control within a couple of weeks and keep fungal infections at bay in the future.