Obesity is epidemic in the United States of America today. Indeed, this problem is spreading throughout the world right along with the typical Western diet.
One of the biggest problems with the Western diet is its high sugar and carbohydrate content. People who are accustomed to eating a lot of sugar tend to have sugar cravings when they try to get their dietary choices under control.
In this article, we will discuss smart ideas you can use to help control sugar cravings. Read on to learn more.
Even though most people are very aware of the fact that the human diet should consist of lean, high quality protein, high fiber and fresh fruits and vegetables, most people have a very hard time following this type of diet.
The main reason is that they fall prey to sugar cravings. In order to avoid this, there are five specific steps you can take. They are:
1. Increase protein: Sugar cravings are caused by an imbalance in your blood sugar levels. When you get plenty of high quality, lean protein your blood sugar levels will even out.
The reason for this is that in the absence of high sugar levels, your body will begin burning fat for energy. This is like the difference between burning paper and burning good firewood.
Sugar burns up hot and fast, but fat burns at a steady rate. The result is that when you eliminate sugar and increase protein, you will have consistent energy levels and no cravings while losing unwanted fat.
2. Consume healthy fats: Your body needs healthy fats to function properly. Most sugar filled foods are also filled with hydrogenated oils, which are astoundingly bad for your entire body.
Avoid all processed foods, and when you use oils be sure to select healthy, natural oils such as extra-virgin olive oil (for cold cooking) and coconut oil (for hot cooking).
3. Get plenty of fiber: Fiber is extremely important to proper gut functioning. It helps detoxify your body and reduces Candida in the gut and throughout your body.
Candida is a fungus that feeds on sugar, so when you reduce sugar any Candida that is present in your body will naturally start clamoring for it.
You want to kill off Candida as quickly as possible by consuming 35 or 40 grams of fiber daily to help get it out of your system. Some fiber rich foods to add to your diet are Chia seeds, flax seeds, nuts and fresh vegetables.
4. Add probiotics: Be sure to include lots of fermented foods in your everyday diet. These include homemade kefir and yogurt, kimchi, sauerkraut and apple cider vinegar. Probiotics are beneficial organisms that help fight off Candida.
5. Use organic, no calories sweeteners: When you simply crave a sweet taste, Stevia can fill the bill. This is a natural, herbal, calorie free sweetener that is very tasty and good for you.
Sugar Cravings Are Temporary
If your current diet is filled with sugar and simple carbohydrates, you may find your first few days of healthy eating plagued by sugar cravings no matter what you do.
Rest assured that these will be resolved within a day or two.
In the meantime, whenever you feel a craving for sugar, drink a glass of pure, filtered water.
This may very well resolve your desire because very often our bodies interpret thirst as hunger or a need for something sweet.
If drinking a glass of water doesn’t work, have a piece of fruit or a mini meal. Don’t deprive yourself of healthy food when you first set out to change your diet.
Feel free to eat high quality lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies and fermented foods in abundance as your body adjusts and becomes free from sugar dependence.